Re: Virus Alert

> > I got hit with the BadTrans.B virus
>
> My sympathies but this is old news.  I get whacked with at least
> two or three nasties each week.

And here is the reason for that:

LookOut and LookOut Express are THE WORST VIRUSES ON THE NET.  They
get spread everywhere because they are the default mailers for
Windoze, and their horrifically bad implementations enable nearly all
of the viruses you hear about.  Not only are they full of security
holes, they also comprise by far the largest "target" and so are the
most frequent vehicle for launching the latest viral terrorist attack.

Solution:  DUMP them.

There are many other excellent mailers available, often for free, and
most of them are extremely safe.  **I don't even run AV software**
and yet I have NEVER been hit with a virus.  I often get 5-6 a day,
but none have ever infected my system.  99% of the virii loose in the
wild are targeted at OE; don't run OE, and exercise some caution when
executing attachments, and you will have NO problems with viruses.

I use Pegasus:  http://www.pmail.com
Eudora is very good:  http://www.eudora.com
The Bat! is very security-conscious:  http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat

Fix the true source of the problem.  Get rid of OE.
Gary