RE: BEST TRADING SOFTWARE

"You cannot "shortcut"
your experience. "Omega guys" mastered their stuff on a bad experience
and for so many years! Good judgement comes with experience.
Experience comes with bad judgement. No one can beat experience. In
addition, if some fellow traders are very angry at "Omega guys" and
their TS2k, they are actually angry on themselves and on their own
trading systems. "

A lot of people out there could build a Tradestation.  Weather or not they
could market it as successfully is another thing.  From experience I can
tell you that good software comes from having good engineers.  But good
software engineers cost money which may be why omega's software has a
reputation for bugs.  Good engineers cost money and if you have management
that doesn't want to spend money hiring experienced developers then they're
likely to end up with a less than excellent product.  But engineers come and
go and software is software weather it's trading platforms or building
Encarta.

Budget is also an issue.  Microsoft can afford to pay higher wages than
typically a start up could so it stands to reason that Microsoft will have a
better product in less time.  Not always the case but most often.  Then
there's marketing which is where I think Omega has shined in the past.

Take a good (system) trader telling a good engineer what the trader needs.
Give me 3 decent QA engineers, and 3 developers to implement and I could
design and develop a product just as good as Tradestation (charting,
language, and if needed server).  It's not the company it's knowing the art
and science of software which is all about individuals.  Any company
committed to building a good product could do that.  Marketing it is
entirely another issue which is where the real experience is at Omega I
think.

It would take time and money no question.  It would probably take around
6-700K starting from scratch (3 dev @ 140-180K/yr a piece, 3 QA at 35-80K/yr
and add cushion).  People come and go in a company all the time so it's
quality of the people hired that make the difference.  This depends on
finding the right managers who in turn find the right people.  But it can be
bought anywhere, anytime.