Re: BEST TRADING SOFTWARE

From: "Brian" <blink64@xxxxxxxx>
To: "List, Omega" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 12:59 AM
Subject: RE: BEST TRADING SOFTWARE

> A lot of people out there could build a Tradestation.  Weather or
not they
> could market it as successfully is another thing.  From experience I
can
> tell you that good software comes from having good engineers.  But
good
> software engineers cost money which may be why omega's software has
> reputation for bugs.  Good engineers cost money and if you have
management
> that doesn't want to spend money hiring experienced developers then
they're
> likely to end up with a less than excellent product.  But engineers
come and
> go and software is software weather it's trading platforms or
building
> Encarta.

Totaly agreed that "Good engineers cost money ".
The problem is that market of "end users" not very liquid.

> Budget is also an issue.  Microsoft can afford to pay higher wages
than
> typically a start up could so it stands to reason that Microsoft
will have a
> better product in less time.  Not always the case but most often.
Then
> there's marketing which is where I think Omega has shined in the
past.

> Take a good (system) trader telling a good engineer what the trader
needs.
> Give me 3 decent QA engineers, and 3 developers to implement and I
could
> design and develop a product just as good as Tradestation (charting,
> language, and if needed server).  It's not the company it's knowing
the art
> and science of software which is all about individuals.  Any company
> committed to building a good product could do that.  Marketing it is
> entirely another issue which is where the real experience is at
Omega I
> think.

You are absolutelly right here also.  They was bitchy all these years.
I hate to have bugs and I eat them in all versioons of my TS, starting
from release 1.0 in 1990, there was pleanty of them.
But "Omega guys" is the guys who succeed and that is fact.

> It would take time and money no question.  It would probably take
around
> 6-700K starting from scratch (3 dev @ 140-180K/yr a piece, 3 QA at
35-80K/yr
> and add cushion).  People come and go in a company all the time so
it's
> quality of the people hired that make the difference.  This depends
on
> finding the right managers who in turn find the right people.  But
it can be
> bought anywhere, anytime.

Agree as well. It takes big money. And I wanted to make a stand alone
TS myself.
But again,  "Omega guys" is the guys who succeeded.