Was: Tradestation v Metastock now AIQ.

Firstly, AIQ is based around lists of stocks. So based on the master list of
stocks, e.g. mine contains about 11000 US and UK stocks & indices . From the
master list,
I can segregate lists of say volatile stocks, tech stocks, top 350, top 100;
literally however I want to segregate it. Naturally, one stock can be in
many groups. One can also, look at issues like sector rotation, relative
sector strength and scan for all stocks with say a significant price change
to the upside, downside, new highs, lows, upside moving averages etc etc.
The list of canned reports is endless.

Generally, one tends to backtest over a few of years or so (the time period
is up to you). In principle, most of this works on daily data.  One can  and
a number of peope do, update intraday say b4 the close, run scans against
the data and thus enter the market b4 the close. IMHO, whilst AIQ runs both
a charting package and separate alert system in realtime they are not in the
same class as TradeStation for realtime studies. It is however horses for
courses. The language (EDS) is really attuned to stocks, and is lisp based,
so there is not a loop or begin end or case construction. Having said that,
it is surprising what can be acheived with a little ingenuity. It has a
fairly extensive SDK - which is significantly more approachable than
TradeStation's. Any study one can wite in EDS can be written within the RT
alerts package.

As for intraday data, I've found it fine - given I haven't got cable or DSL.
AIQ is $59 a month with all of the delayed data you could want e.g. softs,
oil, stocks, etc etc., plus EOD data. Realtime is more expensve, but
competitively priced.  MyTrack data can be picked up by other tools than the
RTAlerts and charting via the MyTrack SDK. I had hoped to post it to
TradeStation, via Andrew Nazarov's software. He promised it some months ago,
but I've not seen anything yet (despite a reminder).

IMHO, for someone looking to trade stocks with a holding period of a few
hours to a few days AIQ is excellent. Furthermore, it is being developed,
and the developers take a positive attitude toward change. Whilst they will
robustly defend how an indicator (say) is calculated, they are prepared to
change if they find a problem.  Thus far releases appear when they say they
will appear. I haven't been fobbed off with the statement sp 6 will be
released in the Spring/Autumn etc etc.

They also have a number of lists on Yahoo - which AIQ actively participate
in, and MyTrack has an online message board, where one can get answers to
many of the sort of questions one sees on this list.  Far more potential
stock trading ideas circulate on that list than others I have seen.

If you are interested in Stocks, AIQ is worth a whirl.

If you want to take it further, suggest we do that off line.