RE: Opinions On TS2000i

Tradestation has got easy language. If you develop your own systems, this
makes Tradestation a strong package as soon as you have accepted that you
need to rewrite most of it due to all their bugs (like the DMI one). It has
a very powerful language, and it is easy to visually and get a picture of
what is happening (indicators, showmes, paintbars, ...). This is the main
reason I have Tradestation.

When it comes to backtesting, if you are trading stocks, and developing your
own systems, then Omega marketing strategy destroys the TS advantage by
limiting Tradestation usability for backtesting (easy language users are not
their main customers, and portfolio testing even less so). If you only want
to test a system against a single symbol, or very few symbols, then TS
remains a strong program. But if you by any reason want to backtest over a
set of symbols, or do portfolio handling, then the program limits you and
the workarounds are big and serious. And automation becomes a hassle.

The route I am now taking is to decide that backtesting is too important for
me to be limited by what Tradestation alone offers (I trade stocks). I will
remain using Tradestation as a visual aid to understand what is happening in
my indicators/systems, but I am moving towards other solutions for
backtesting. The disadvantage is that I will not get something as good as
easy language, and I will have to code things two times (one for backtesting
one for visuality).

Alternatives are not very many. Metastock language is yet too limited,
although they are more open minded than Omega. Since you need to rewrite a
lot of routines in Tradestation, you might as well do it in Metastock dll:s,
which means c++. If you are at the road of C++, then most people will back
out. For those that can and are willing to do c++, there are many roads
(ravenquote, amibroker, ...), many of them seems to lead to users doing
their own solutions after a while. Maybe such solutions might replace
Tradestation totally, but again, not for too many users.

Anyhow, easy language is slowly losing itīs grip as _THE_ solution language.
We are likely to see a move to different types of vendors, until sooner or
later a new vendor comes around that is good enough for a majority of those
who wants to get something like Tradestation but sold by a company without
the Omega mentality.

If you are developing systems by your own, a good way to view competitors is
looking in TASC traders tips. Look at what vendors they always allow to give
traders tips, they are in their main stream, meaning they have enough money
for steady advertising.

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.