Re: NTFS vs FAT32

A dynamic disk can contain simple volumes (use all free space available on
a single disk, the restraints of primary and extended partitions are gone,
free space on a hard drive is divided into volumes instead of partitions,
these volumes can be noncontiguous), spanned volumes (takes the concept of
a simple volume and extends it across multiple disks), mirrored volumes
(data from one disk is duplicated on a second disk, provides fault
tolerance, if one disk fails, data can be accessed from the second disk),
striped volumes (data is stored across two or more physical disks,
allocated alternately, used to increase storage system throughput), and
RAID-5 volumes (combination of mirrored and striped volumes, data is
striped across three or more disks, a parity value is added, if one disk
fails, data can be reconstructed from the info contained on the remaining
disks without the system halting). Dynamic disks can only be accessed by
the Win2k operating system. There's no limit to how many volumes you can
create on a dynamic disk.

You use Disk Management to create them. Go to "Administrative Tools,"
"Computer Management," "Disk Management." Then if your drives aren't listed
in the right pane, use "View," "Top," "Disk List." Right click the disk you
want to upgrade in the Details pane and choose "Upgrade to Dynamic Disk."
Once you upgrade, you cannot go back to a basic disk without reformatting.

Two books I've found useful. "Using Windows 2000 Professional" from Que,
and "Windows 2000 Complete" from Sybex.