Re: Off Topic: Programming education

Several people wanted to know what I learned, so I thought I'd post it here:

I got about 40 replies to my question about teaching my kid programming.
Although the suggestions ranged from Qbasic, to FORTRAN, to Java, the vast
majority (about 35) suggested Visual Basic. The main reason was that they
thought there would be quick positive feedback, and that it would still be
of value after the initial learning phase.

Another suggestion that I liked was the kid's code "Logos":

http://www.kidsandcomputers.com/SiteToc.cfm

Keep in mind I talking about teaching an 8 year old, and my primary concern
at first is that I don't scare him off the subject all together. The bottom
line is he liked this site.

So I guess I'd start there and then try VB once he's comfortable.

Thanks again to everyone that helped, I really appreciate it,

Bill Wynne