Off Topic: Programming education

My 8 year old decided he wanted to hack into all the nuclear weapons control
centers of the world to disarm all the nukes and insure world peace. I
suggested he might want to learn to read and write code first. I can't code
a lick myself except for EL.

Question: where would you start a programming education? Which language(s)
would you recommend and which specific books would best get him started?
Assume a high school reading level.

P-mail me please, unless you think it might interest others on the list.

Thanks,

Bill Wynne

Bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx