Involuntary "Plugins" From This List!!!

When I opened (from the Digest) the response to the inquiry concerning
TS2000 and multiple monitors ("What's with TS2000 . . ."), a box popped up
and proclaimed that I needed a "plugin" in order to open that message, and
then proceded to download it and, presumably, execute it without giving me
any choice!  That disturbs me greatly, the fact that somehow it downloaded
and ran without my OK.

Anyone know what it was/is and how to set any security parameters in NT to
prevent a reoccurrence?  Also, I'm surprised that the protocols on this list
let it through.

Regards,
Carroll Slemaker