Re: Holy Grail Platform -- Best way to do free-form realtime analysis?

  • To: Bilo Selhi <jack_2231@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Holy Grail Platform -- Best way to do free-form realtime analysis?
  • From: Lawrence Chan <stnahc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:14:37 -0800

I have a different point of view in terms of using
software tools to trade.

Knowing that no trading tool will ever be able to
do everything. I chose to integrate multiple
applications to work with.

It used to be very hard doing that, because using
something like TS, or CQG, you can never add
your own tool to analyze the data on the same
computer.

I used to use separate feeds to run optionvue,
and other software.

Now there is UMDS, real time trading apps no longer
need to be able to do everything. Just run all the
necessary tools at the same time on the same computer.

VB, excel and other script based stuff are great
for simple end of day work and automation of
simple repetitive task. But for real time, it is
more liekly restrictive lanaguages will rule because
it then can be optimized before being used in RT.

System testing is important - but not that important.
Most best traders I know of are not mechanical
traders. All they use are merely a statistical
bias that they discovered.

One local I know used only trendlines in his
trading analysis - for 15 yrs and his performance
is getting better and better.

Maybe tools are just tools afterall :)

--- Bilo Selhi <citadel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> at the moment there are no best platform out there
> for trading.
> all have pluses and minuses but there is no leader.
> tradestation used to be but not anymore.
> tradelab is not yet and might not be for a while.
> i was hoping that traderware would...
> cqg is good, townsend is not bad.
> bloomberg is a nice one but there is no system
> capability.
> and then there are smaller outfits like expo,
> raven, metastock, custom things here and there.
> i guess there is a niche, whoever takes it can make
> some
> money.
> the truth is that systematic trading is the thing of
> the future
> not discretionary.
> the things i never understood about Tradestation is
> that it is
> a good product but it was clearly not designed by
> traders. some very basic and very simple things
> are not there, the things that are a standard now
> and have been
> for a few years. those things that are lacking
> irritate the crap
> out of me.
> like multiple windows so that you arrange and save
> your
> own layouts,  data on demand, data filtering, global
> variables,
> access to data without a chart...
> i mean that's about all i care about, give me that
> and i will be
> very happy. bring yourself up at least to a standard
> and i will
> need anything but tradestation. TRADESTATION or a
> good
> trading platfrom MUST BE
> WHAT BLOOMBERG IS + THE SYSTEM CAPABILITY
> AT HALF THE COST, THEN IT'S THE WINNER AND
> NOBODY WILL BE ABLE TO MATCH IT.
> as far as placing the orders automatically, you
> bet...
> already happening and just a beginning...
> as far as excell, i don't think so. i mean maybe for
> end of day...
> bilo.

=====
Lawrence Chan                   http://www.tickquest.com
Innovative Analytical Software for Trading Professionals