Re: Athlon 1 GHz -- 3 more months

" By next March, we should have 1 GHz Athlons, at 0.18 micron, on-die cache,
copper interconnect chips, on VIA KX-133 platforms with PC-133, and AGP 4x
support. We should also see 1 GHz Pentium III (or IV) chips by then, but
there aren't many technological advances that we know about from Intel that
will gain consumer support."

o.[http://www.ameritech.net/users/edsbox/k7view.htm].o  Excellent reviews.

The above reading will suggest:
1. Currently the Athlon 700 is the best bang for the buck.  The Athlon
750/800 are just slightly faster with a bigger price tag.  The current use
of off-die cache really slows things up.
2. The future (March) will unveil a chip worth spending money on, imo,
because of the smaller micron (less heat), the on-die cache (rumor of 1 gig
cache), and using copper, etc.
3.  This will be perfect timing as Windows 2000 will be released in February
(and a month or so to get some of the bugs worked out) right before buying
your first new Millenium Computer built.
4.  By March 2000 motherboards for Athlon should be in second editions which
will
add another element to waiting just 3-4 more months.  Maybe get these mobo's
with 2 gig cache.

other:  These fast chips require 300 W power supplies; faster video cards;

I sure wish a recognized graphics card manufacturer like Matrox or ATI would
come out with Dual/Quad multimonitor cards for PCI slots.

Happy New Year,  and remember that technically the new Millenium begins in
2001.