Y2k update questions

First, I'd like to thank Bob Fulks for the excellent summary of how to
update. Then,I'd like to ask a question or two...

Bob wrote:
> Under the "Tools" menu in Internet Explorer 5.0, you will find an
> item called "Windows Update". This connects to the Microsoft site and
> analyzes your machine for needed updates.
> The results are displayed
> in the web browser so you need to be connected to the Internet for
> patches.

I have some computers on a small net that, for security reasons, has no
connection to the Inet. Can one download the updates and transfer the
updates to another computer, or is the analysis and updating done entirely
on-line on a computer-by-computer basis?

If on-line, is there an alternative for off-line updating?

> I ran Norton2000 to check other applications. It provides a Live
> Update facility to get the latest data base but it seems to be behind
> the Microsoft data on Microsoft products. It checks your machine
> BIOS, and all common files for two-digit dates so will show lots of
> potential problems.

What types of files are checked? Does Symantec actually read data in the
files, or recommend based on the type/version of file?

Thanks much for your help...

Larry the last minute updater :-)