Upgrading CPUs

Dear Group,

The last few years, I've been using a P233 MMX computer as my main
trading computer.  I recently acquired a P3/500, and it has turned out
to be signficantly better --- surprise!

Its success has now led me to ask if I can upgrade my P233 MMX computer
simply by buying and installing a new CPU for it, for example, a P3/500
or a Celeron 400?  Is this doable or would I be looking at also having
to buy and install a new Motherboard as well?  Or what would I have to
do to upgrade my P233 to something more like my P3/500?  If anyone has
any experience with this, I would appreciate hearing about it from you.
Thank you.

Sincerely,

Richard Josslin