Re: SP4 and Analysis Templates ???

  • To: Bob Heisler <bheisler@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: SP4 and Analysis Templates ???
  • From: Larry Wright <lwright@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:15:55 -0800

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Bob Heisler wrote:

> Admittedly, Omega has introduced some software that was not ready for prime
> time.  However, before you start whining on this list, perhaps you could
> spend some time on their Website in the Knowledge base to find the answers
> you seek.

I've found dozens and dozens of problems with TS2k - if I were to count
them in detail, it would probably be at least 100. I've looked at the KB
many times, and almost NONE of these problems are mentioned.

Conclusion:  statistically, the KB is almost worthless as a place to go
for information about TS2k problems.

Now - are you suggesting that I waste a lot of time doing something that,
statistically, is a 'poor bet'? (I hope you don't trade that way :-).

Since users are beta testers, and many problems are reported on this
list, it could be that OR puts items in the KB *after* they are mentioned
here(assuming there is a fix, which is often NOT the case).

I have found this list to be more useful, statistically, than the OR KB,
and about as good as the call-in OR support. (Example: I had to call in or
email *13* times to get a working password for the SP3 update). There have
been several occasions when I got a response back from the list while I
was *still* waiting for someone to answer the phone at OR. As in trading,
I prefer to use things that give me better odds. so I will continue to
post problems to the list.

And - again - many thanks to the list folks for your help.

> It is so easy to just piss and moan.  Try doing a little work on your own
> first.

Regarding 'whining' - are you suggesting that users *accept* the
abominably poor software without complaint? If so, I know where you can
get a good used car - Bill C, the salesman, says it's the greatest car you
can get anywhere and it will run forever with no problems :-).

Many of us do lots and lots of work to get around the many problems with
TS2k. If TS2k were 'good', we would not have to do that much. I don't have
any other pgms that crash so often, are filled with so many 'glitches', or
require so many work-arounds.

I realize you are in the 'no-piss' camp, but I disagree with the premise
that one should accept poor quality without voicing an opinion or trying
to bring public opinion to bear on getting a fix. I believe it is useful
to do so, and is likely to spur OR to fix problems they would otherwise
not do (the $$ would go to marketing instead of product development).

I really do appreciate your participation and responses to various list
issues in the past. Perhaps we can agree to disagree about whining...

Larry