Re: TeleCharts2000 and TradeStation (2000)

Jay Mackro wrote:

> Well, I am using TC2000 with TradeStation 4.0, but I suspect the issue
> is the same.  Yes, the 3.0 version of the TC2000 data format is the one
> that TradeStation can read.  So what?  It works fine.  In fact, the
> default format on the TC2000 pull-down menu is 3.0, not 4.0.  I have
> no idea what the newer version is used for, or how it differs from the
> 3.0 version.

How about a little thing refered to as y2k. Version 3 is based on a 6
digit floating point representation of the date, so today is 991215.0

Note i added the decimal because it is a "floating point" number, and
not the text you read on the screen. That gives only 2 digits for a
year.

The "so what" is that after 1/1/2000, either the utility TC2000 uses to
export will cease to function or TS4.0, 2000 or anything else that reads
the exported TC 3.0 data must be able to handle what TC coughs out (if
it even coughs out anything at all). Will January 2, 1999 be the
floating point 102.0 or 1000102.0 ? Or will it be a giant export utility
crash? If the utility even functions, our software (Byte Into The
Market) is prepared to deal with either 102.0 or 1000102.0. Of course if
the export utility croaks, then there isn't much which can be done to
read data which is not exported.....which is why we suggest people start
to move toward ASCII text as a standard for EOD data. Every software
reads it and there is no mistake about it...as ASCII text the data is
yours. TC2000 exports to ASCII fine, and Byte Into The Market reads
ASCII fine.

King wrote:

> I've been using TC for a long time,  first TC3,  then TCPro,  now TC4,  with
> SC2.1.  As far as I know, Worden has no plans to support Version 3 after the
> first of the year. No telling what the export to version 3 feature will do
> at that time.  Most probably Omega products won't work with it.

Correct.

> There is no way TC is as good as SC for constructing studies,  much less
> backtesting or other things Omega products can do. No systems,  no show-mes.
> No really advanced programming. You cannot plot any of your own studies in
> TC, and you cannot run add-ins. What TC is really good at, something most
> Omega products don't do well ( I don't know much about Radar
> whatever-it-is),  is scanning and sorting a list of all stocks,  or many
> lists of stocks that you can easily create. And you can scan/sort according
> to criteria you also can create, but the functions available to do so are
> limited,  compared to Omega products.  IMO.
>
> TC is a good product,  I use it extensively,  but I am going to miss the
> things you can do with Easy Language.  At this time I just can't justify the
> cost of owning/feeding Tradestation.
>
> David

It is correct that Byte Into The Market software does not have all of
the language features of TS. But please keep in mind one retails for
$345 (ours) and one retails for $2400 (theirs). So let's keep the
comparisons within reason please.

As I suggested to one of the more frequent posters to the omega-list in
a private discussion:
"I post on the omega-list because there are plenty of
supercharts users there being coerced by omega into a purchase of
several thousand dollars worth of unnecessary software. Anyone who can
not see the superiority of our software versus Supercharts in its most
recent incarnation must be hallucinating. So if the choice is upgrade to
TS for several grand, or get some better quality (than supercharts)
software for less than what you paid for your previous y2k noncompliant
software...well you get my point."

The reply: "Absolutely.  I can see that your tool would be a fabulous
replacement for SC users." .... and this was someone who had plenty of
complaints about Byte Into The Market's limitations (from the
perspective of a power TS user).

-- Tom Kohl (Tarn Software)
http://www.tarnsoft.com/