RE: Computer for Trade Station

Sigstroker@xxxxxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 12/9/99 2:40:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> jstratmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > Athelon is a decent chip but I'm an Intel guy.  Besides I do software
> >  design and as a hobby, 3D Graphics/Animation - the PIII series
> has the best
> >  floating point/MMX support that I've seen...so far.
>
> Maybe Intel has better gaming support, but the Athlon is still
> faster, clock
> for clock, plus is available in a higher clock speed. The Athlon
> is also just
> beginning to get it's wind at current speeds, while the Pentium
> is wheezing
> on it's last legs. It needs 133 mhz memory and FSB speeds to
> almost keep up
> with Athlon at 100 mhz fsb speed and memory. Kyrotech is
> selling/developing
> Athlons super-cooled to 900-1000 mhz if you really need fast.
>
> >  > Abit BP6 (Retail Box) - ATA 66 support * 2- 3 DAY WAIT *
> with cpu - dual
> >  > Celeron 366 PPGA at550 each total 1100MHz w/Global Win CPM 32
> >  > Heatsink fans,
> >  > 3DIMM 1 AGP,5PCI,2ISA $ 335
> >
> >  * ABIT is a good motherboard - they are a "overclockers
> dream*.  I prefer
> >  ASUS, consider them the cadillac but I dont overclock  :)
>
> ABIT's are not known for their stability, so that's probably
> something you
> want to avoid unless you like lots of gaps in your data.
>
> >  * I would recommend at least 128mg RAM.  Buy this system with
> the intention
> >  of running Windows 2000.  I use Windows 2000 at home as I do software
> >  development and LOVE IT.  I've crashed NT plenty of times
> (never crashed
> >  linux ONCE yet btw) but Windows 2k has been extremely stable
> and I like the
> >  User INterface.  As it's based on NT it requires a good amount
> of RAM.  If
> >  you really want to step up your system, like I upgraded mine, get a
> >  motherboard (or add-on SCSI card) that supports SCSI (Narrow, Wide and
> >  Ultra-Wide) and buy a Seagate Cheatah SCSI Hard Drive (or a
> competitor)  I
> >  like the Cheatahs because, well they are necessary for video
> editing and
> >  dont have thermal-recalibration (thats hard to find and kinda
> expensive)
> >  You dont necessarily need the Cheatah line for a SCSI hard
> drive but I like
> >  them.  You cant get a faster HD system unless you go RAID.
> The best EIDE
> >  Hard drive imho is the IBM Deskstar series - stick with a
> drive of 7400 (or
> >  is it 7500rpm) or more.
>
> SCSI is not likely to give you a noticeable benefit unless you
> use a 10,000
> rpm drive like the Cheetah. That comes with it's own set of
> problems (noise,
> cooling). Fast IDE drives run 7200 rpm. I believe Quantum is the current
> [...]

Sig, check out Tera (a publicly traded company that specializes in
multiprocessor systems - no not Massively parallel processing).  These
systems have only been produced with 2 and now 8 CPUs now.  Their
shareholders statements and news releases even state a linear increase in
performance.  Not really sure you why say you haven't heard of this in the
real world - please clarify if you think I'm wrong but again, the statements
from Tera exist - check it out.  Symbol is TERA if interested.

Joe