RE: Computer for Trade Station

Mark Brown, thanks for the link to that html page that is supposed to show
TradeStation running on Linux on the user's SPARCstation.  But, I never saw
the picture, just received the text commentaries after about 30 tries on two
different ISP connections (Cable modem and DSL - yes I have both)  :)

I am a software developer, so I don't think I'm talking out of school here.
Linux is based on a completely different API set from that of Win32; even
the memory models are managed differently.  Just as the Mac API set differs
from Win32.  Yes, I can provide a screenshot most likely of TradeStation
running on a Mac if you like, but it will be using a windows emulator - yuck
(too slow to be usefull).
The Operating systems can also differ on paramater passing sequence - ie Mac
uses Pascal and Win32 uses C.

So...Win32 Apps will NOT run on Linux, Mac, BeOS, etc without an emulator
package or the OS providing specific built-in emulation.

There is a project for Linux to create a Windows "EMULATOR" as well.  I
believe it to be called Wine.  Wine doesn't label itself as a "EMULATOR" but
I guess more of a translation layer intercepting Win32 API calls as they
occur.  Wine suggests that you may not see any execution speed degredation
as which exists with standard EMULATION software.  Check it out at
www.winehq.com

I am rather excited about Linux and have started playing with the OS
recently.  For those of you that havent and are willing to take the time to
learn it (which can be daunting for some) I encourage you to do so - it's
great  :)  (but a tad complicated to install in some cases)

I've had little sleep lately so I hope this has been somewhat clear.

Bottom line, for someone to state they can run Tradestation 2000i on LInux I
believe this to be a farce, unless the claim is qualified as to how.  More
specifically, what emulator was used.  And again, the only one I'm aware of
that exists is Wine.

Oh, and someone asked where you can purchase a Dual celeron motherboard.
THere are numerous places on the net, I am familiar with www.cantek.com

Thank you
- Joe