Re: OFF TOPIC - E-Mail Formatting & System Resources

At 3:02 PM -0500 12/8/99, Michael Harris wrote:

>1. I get a lot of documents by E-mail, many of which I print for
>distribution to other people. Most of the E-mails have carraige
>returns so that the lines are only about a half-page wide. Since it
>is time-consuming to remove the returns, is there a setting at my
>end that will eliminate them so the text appears across the whole
>page width? (I hope this was clear)

The email program I use (Eudora Pro) has several commands that allow
you to do this.

The most useful is a command under the "Edit" menu that appears when
you hold down some modifier key (Alt I think) that converts the
command "Wrap selection" into "Unwrap selection". This removes most
of the ">" characters at the beginning of lines of selected text and
removes all returns, creating a continuous text string for each
paragraph - very useful. You can then copy and paste the text into
other messages and word processors.

There are also commands to add or remove the bars on the left side of
the new "flowed text format" so you can work with this text in a
similar way.

As an example, I converted your message (above) into flowed text with
no returns by a couple of keystrokes. (I realize that most people
seem to use Outlook Express which probably doesn't have such great
features.)

Bob Fulks