Re: interpretting PingPlotter

Now you're seeing the side of Internet data delivery that DBC doesn't want
to talk about.

You know the one about how a chain is as strong as its weakest link. There
are a lot of links between you and DBC's server.

I have DSL here. I've seen failures in the Central Office, the ATM cloud,
and upstream failures from there. There can be failures at the backbone
provider, etc.

If you put in a T1 line (upwards of $2K / month) which comes with a
performance guarantee, you still are only guaranteed 99%. Think about the
outages that reliability figure can cover. And that gets you 24/7 support
with a 1 hour response time. Something you don't get with DSL.

Compare that with the reliability of satellite. Obviously, a bird can (and
has) go down. It's still orders of magnitude more reliable, which is
something to ponder if your trading dollars are on the line.

Allan