Re: Defragging Win NT

>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:57:09 -0500
>From: Terry Wyss <tlwyss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I think that a better way to set up the pagefile is on
>a partition on a separate hard drive so that two drive
>heads can be transferring the data simultaneously
>rather than just one. [faster swaps and no pagefile
>fragmentation]

* the advantage of using several disks (eg A for OS, B for swapfile, C for
application and D for database) is to minimize the delays created by the
mechanical parts. No disk heads jumping back and forth.
* the advantage of using a multitasking I/O interface is that I/O
operations can be executed in parallel.

So, IMHO, separate mechanics AND a performant multitasking OS AND a
perfomant multitasking I/O interface.
Please keep in mind also that the CPU power is part of the calculations. It
generally wouldn't make sense to separate modern mechanics on 80's (slow)
CPU's.

By the way, this ain't nothing new - The rules were already used for 70's
RT applications. Also, why do you think Unix preference for SCSI ?

Alain