RE: Defragging Win NT (Was: How to get TS2k to run well (was 2K for sale)}

I would say the answer to nonlinears question has to do with the variety of
ways Ts can be used.  The specific computer hardware, the data vendor, the
software setup, the Ts and GS build number, type and amount of data
collected, the specific way Ts is used and the general computer setup and
maintainance skills of the user all have an influence.

I never had material crash problems with any OS or application software til
I began using Ts2k and I have been using Tradestation with real time quotes
since early 1992.  I currently use DTN satellite and collect 18k stock and
equity symbols via a 16750 UART high speed serial card.  Omega's version of
GS for DTN is unstable.  They admit that privately.  In my case I eliminated
Charting crashes and reduced GS crashes to less than one per week by
dedicating a PII450 256mb NT4 computer to Ts2k and making a dead clean
install of the OS and Ts2k SP2b.  I had more frequent crashes using Win98
but then I also had an earlier Ts and Gs build number.  I switched to NT at
about the same time I received SP2b.  Thus I dont know whether Ts2k SP2b (GS
build 590, Charting build 563) would have been as stable on Win98 as it is
on WinNT4.

I do however believe that NT is largely responsible for the added stability
of Ts2k because of my experience with my second computer.  After I switched
to NT4 on my non-trading computer I saw a definite and vast improvement.
Under Win98 I had to reboot about every other day to keep things humming.
Under NT, I can and have run the non-trading computer hard for a month 24/7
with no problem whatsoever.

As an example of the different results different people can have, I can say
that there is definitely no speed loss using Ts2k vs Ts4 on my system. In
fact my perception is that Ts2k is as fast or faster than Ts4 for everything
I do.

I suppose a careful study of these factors by Omega would isolate the ones
that cause stability and/or speed problems.  Hopefully they are doing just
such a study and solutions will be forthcoming in SP3.  If not, I for one
will be looking at TW.

Bill Wood