commodity returns YE 1999

Going through Aug. 1999 issue of Futures (page 72) "Public Funds returns "  I
was astounded that only 3 funds returned more than 10 % for the whole year
from a universe of 150(approx) funds tracked. There were some reputed names
as managers ., Dunn, Campbell , John Henry, Sunrise, Dean Witt, Abraham,
Rabar, Druz  etc.

The Barclay index on page 20 has the same statistics.

Going through the same issue, I found some wonderfull advts. for systems ,
indicators...
ASCTrend ( 12 k in 2 weeks, inside cover  )
Ruggiero ( 70 % profitable trades, 90 k profits trading 1 cont.  page 6)
G. Angell ( 5 k to 700 k in 18 months page 10)
Wilder ( Hidden order ,  opp. page 14)
Grandmill ( 100 to 240 % annual returns , page 20)
Abberation (70 k profits last year , page 50)
etc.
The  advt.s in the last pages (85 to 89 ) are ridiculous . They make better
reading than the "National Enquirer/Globe".

Wonder, If the well capitalized managers are missing something.
If only 10 % of the people are winning, who / where are they.

That doesnt seem to be the case with equity Mutual funds. If you pick
carefully, they have a decent return.

Mike Verma