TS2000i Adventures - For Traders of All Ages

Greetings

I have taken a break from trying to make TS2000i (build 591) work for two
reasons:
       (1) It will help my blood pressure, and
       (2) It may be informative for the list readers.

I have struggled without complaint through the installation process
(1) Contract specifications were butchered, resulting in a lot of Year 2079
contracts
(2) The upgrade program was useless, had to copy out and import my data
(3) The program froze when loading indicators (I know, I *only* have 160MB
RAM and for now Win98).

I can live with installation problems because installation is a *one time*
thing.

Now, I am facing operating problems that may relate to the resource hogging
behavior we have heard about.

Here is today's episode - with apologies to the New Trader (who is
apparently not a trader, although she knows the program features).  She is
not new to the list, I believe we all surmise her identity.   I understand
that she is just doing her tech support/PR job, and it is not her fault that
their program is so bad.

Here are the free RAM readings from MemTurbo:

160MB     Total available RAM
112MB     After Win98 startup with MemTurbo and Norton CrashGuard (I NEED
IT)
97MB       After opening Global Server offline
91MB      After opening TS2000i
56MB      After opening 1350-bar workspace with one symbol and one complex
indicator
                 (easily handled by TS4)

At this point TS2000i FREEZES, no longer responds.
After trying to revive with CrashGuard, still nonresponsive but can close it

63MB     Even after TS2000i closes, running MemTurbo, only 63MB are free
75MB     After closing Global Server, running MemTurbo, only 75 MB are free

Evidently 35MB used by GS and TS2Ki were *not released* back to Win98.
Extrapolate to more workspaces, indicators --- I think I can see why TS does
not run within the hardware specs in the OR propaganda.

Folks, the upgrade price is inconsequential but I do not plan to invest any
more of my *time* beating this dead horse.  Just have to hope the software
alternatives materialize so I can continue to develop as a trader.  Right
now, I get the feeling that we all are on a dead branch of the trading
software evolution tree.

BTW, I have no financial interest in *any* software or system.

With vital signs back to normal, I wish you good trading.

Jim Hunter