Re: DynaStore for Quote.com

----- Message d'origine -----
De : Ron Dawes <ron@xxxxxxxxx>
À : pierre.orphelin <pierre.orphelin@xxxxxxxxxx>; <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Envoyé : samedi 11 septembre 1999 16:02
Objet : RE: DynaStore for Quote.com

> Dynastore modifies NO code or files that belong to either DBC or Omega.
> Instead of thumping us, I would think that as a strong proponent of Omega
> you would be pleased that Dynastore opens up the Omega product line (past &
> present) to another data feed that was not previously supported.  Adapters,
> converters, translators, etc. have been around to translate data from format
> A to format B for as long as there have been computers.
>
> Ron

So,let it be.

I was not thuming anyone, just asking some question ( annoying, I admit).
If you convert the data wihout modification of the software, that's a point.

========

Pierre,

Have you seen some unix-based Windows emulators? These programs does not
patch the Windows files...
Our software is the EMULATOR of the DBC.

Yours, D.B.

This is the second point.

TradeStation 2000 makes use of the DBC Server.
So, if you only translate the feed into DBC format, two solutions:

1)
Either you use the DBC Server without modification to feed TradeStation.
In this case, you make use of a piece of software that belongs to DBC and developped for use with DBC data.
We could suppose that BC has an interest to sell their feed, integrated to TS2000 with their proprietary software ,
licensed to Omega for this specific use.

In this case, is it legal to make use of a software that was designed by a datafeed vendor to sell its feed to
the final user, supposed to be  a TradeStation2000i owner AND a DBC user  ?

2) Or you have made a piece of software that emulates DBC server ( without modifying the original DBC server).
There is also a legal issue on this point:
The emulator is your property, but the protocol used is DBC property, and this protocol should be licensed to DBC users using
DBC datafeed.
In this case, I do not see where is the interest of DBC.

Second question: is it legal to emulate a datafeed server ?
Have you the DBC  authorization to do so ?

If yes please accept my apologies and take it as a proof of  my obvious stupidity regarding
to commercial property and right protection .
To the best of my knowledge, DBC provides its data format to developers who want to use the DBC feed
in their application. I was not informed that they [DBC] could do the same for  concurrent datafeeds.

If no, is this legal ?

For ending, where is the warranty for the end user?
We have here FOUR companies that acts tyo make TS2000 work under these conditions:

1-Omega Research. Are they OK to take their part of  responsibility ?    [ ] Yes  [ ] No
2-Yourself ( please fill...)                                                                     [ ] Yes  [ ] No
3-DBC , the protocol provider ( see point1 )                                          [ ] Yes  [ ] No
4- The data vendor ( see point1).                                                         [ ] Yes  [ ] No

The problem in this case versus the official  solution is that we have  4 companies that do not communicate in this project ( only 2 on 4 can communicate), and one user that will be embarrassed in case of problem, because he has to address the possible problem with 4 companies.

Risky in my opinion, and this is the reason why I am not in favor of such solutions versus official solution that are developed and tested  by the same company ( Omega Research)
Things are complicated enough with the current versions, and I do not see the advantage ove adding layers of problem,
that being not  a critic of your work that I do not know and that could be of good quality, this is not the subject of this thread.

I have seen enough horror stories with datafeed in my life to be more careful now.

This being said, the question remains without any satisfactory answer.

If I can gie yo a hint, move your web site to a commercial one, Internic registered
I do not know the effect of a free personal page when selling high en software to traders supposed to use the product ,a lot of risk and a serious amount of money  being involved in intraday trading.

Rgds

PO