Expected value of Andy Dunn's game "challenge"

Andy Dunn proposes a gambling game in which
the probability of a loss is 50.000 percent,
the probability of a win is 50.000 percent,
the payoff of a loss is (-k * betsize),
the payoff of a win is (+2k * betsize),
the AMOUNT RISKED PER PLAY is 1% of equity,
and the starting capital is $1 million.

Since the amount risked per play is known
in advance to be 1% of equity, this means
that a loss will reduce equity by 1%.  And
since wins are twice as big as losses, this
means that a win will increase equity by 2%.

Because I went to school in the U.S. I didn't
take algebra until the 9th grade (age 14);
some of our international readers got to learn
it sooner, I'm sure.  But even using this inferior
American 9th grade algebra, we can come up with
an expression for the final equity after TWO PLAYS
of the game, a loss and a win:

     $after = $before * 0.99 * 1.02

Thus after N plays of the game we have:

     $final = $starting * 1.0098^(N/2)

as Bob Fulks's email stated.  Let's just do
a check on this expression: let's plug in N=30
and $starting= $1million.  Whacking the
keys of the calculator, that's $1,157,525.31
for the final equity.

Next let's try Val Clancy's formula
    > In this specific case:
    > ( .99^n/2 - 1 ) *100
    > where n = total number of trades.

Okay, .99^15 = 0.860058.  Thus Val's expression
gives us -13.994.  Kinda looks wrong.  It's
a negative number whereas the game turned a
profit.

A third approach is (GASP!) to write a computer
program to calculate what happens if you play
Andy's game for 30 plays.  Hard to imagine
anyone on the omega-list programming a computer,
but let's do it anyway.  If the first play is
a loss, second play is a win, third play is a
loss, fourth play a win, ..., et cetera, you
get the following result:

BEGIN      equity  1000000.000
trade  1   equity   990000.000    <<-- a loss
trade  2   equity  1009800.000    <<-- a win
trade  3   equity   999702.000    <<-- loss
trade  4   equity  1019696.040    <<-- win
trade  5   equity  1009499.080    <<-- etc.
trade  6   equity  1029689.061
trade  7   equity  1019392.171
trade  8   equity  1039780.014
trade  9   equity  1029382.214
trade 10   equity  1049969.858
trade 11   equity  1039470.160
trade 12   equity  1060259.563
trade 13   equity  1049656.967
trade 14   equity  1070650.106
trade 15   equity  1059943.605
trade 16   equity  1081142.477
trade 17   equity  1070331.053
trade 18   equity  1091737.674
trade 19   equity  1080820.297
trade 20   equity  1102436.703
trade 21   equity  1091412.336
trade 22   equity  1113240.583
trade 23   equity  1102108.177
trade 24   equity  1124150.340
trade 25   equity  1112908.837
trade 26   equity  1135167.014
trade 27   equity  1123815.344
trade 28   equity  1146291.650
trade 29   equity  1134828.734
trade 30   equity  1157525.309

What do you know, exactly as 9th grade
algebra predicted.  Golly Mrs. Kimble
(my algebra teacher) sure was good at
her job.

Now of course we have only computed
the EXPECTED VALUE of Andy Dunn's game.
We haven't computed (for example) the
STANDARD DEVIATION of the outcome.
If Andy's game were played with a
fair coin-toss, wins probably would
not perfectly alternate with losses.
There'd be runs of wins and runs of
losses, and different strings of coin
toss outcomes would produce different
final equity values.  We've only computed
what would be expected to happen,
on the average, if Andy Dunn's game were
played an infinite number of times.

Here's some code (awk):

BEGIN   {
        equity = 1.0e6
        ntrades = 0;
        printf "BEGIN      equity %12.3f\n", equity
        while(ntrades<30) {
# A losing trade
                ntrades++
                equity = equity * 0.99
                printf "trade %2d   equity %12.3f\n", ntrades, equity
# And now a winning trade
                ntrades++
                equity = equity * 1.02
                printf "trade %2d   equity %12.3f\n", ntrades, equity
        }
}