Re: EasyButNotDocumentedLanguage DLL Questions ;^)

Dans un courrier daté du 14/12/98 06:17:59 Heure d6iver Pari59 Madrid,
jimo@xxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

>  The TS 4 docs describe the trig functions without saying whether
>  they use degrees or radians, one of the first questions a user of
>  trig functions wants answered.  There is, however, an example in
>  one of the descriptions, which implies (if memory serves) radians.
>  But, no, when you actually test the things with print statements,
>  it turns out that they use the opposite of what the docs imply.

You should check again the  EL manual:
 ( TS4 (c) 1997, 334 pages for this manual)

Page 288, Sine function
Example:
Sine(Value1)  Assuming Value1 is 8 degrees, returns 0.139173100, the sine of
value1.

We may assume that IF the example is given in degrees, THEN  thesine function
should accept degrees.
Even if it was not written a previous version, the first thing to do was to
print  sine(90) and see what happens.
This is the basis of the scientific method.
When there is a doubt, you need to experiment..

When something obvious is not writen, you may assume that the obvious meaning
was intended.
There are thres units for angles:

Degres
Grades
Radians

Degres are widely used in most fields ( industry, elementary geometry, because
of the properties of the 360 number on the trigonometric circle, yielding to
remarquable integer numbers for remarquable angles - 30,45,60,90°.... )
Grades are the less used (they were an attempt to make  angles measurements
compliant with the decimal /metric system).
Radians are used  in higher level of mathematics ( geometry, periodic
trigonometric functions, signal processing)  that is not the target of basic
technical analysis.

Degres are the obvious units for anyone.

>  They've been that way since at least TS 3.0, and no amount of
>  telling Omega of the problem produces a fix.  I even offered to
>  Bill Cruz, back in 1994, to proofread the next galleys of his
>  manuals, thinking in three hours I could eliminate several thousand
>  obvious typos, repeated passages, etc., and do us all a favor.
>  Well, you can imagine Bill's response... :(
>
>  That's why we started this list.

It has been proven useful in more intersting cases.

Sincerely

-Pierre Orphelin
www.sirtrade.com