Re: EasyButNotDocumentedLanguage DLL Questions ;^)

At 12:22 PM 12/13/98 EST, you wrote:
>Dans un courrier daté du 13/12/98 02:49:15 Heure d2iver Pari15 Madrid,
>wieringa@xxxxxxxxxx a écrit :
>
>>  continually find myself frusterated over the poor documentation that
>>  accompanies the high priced TS4.  Hopefully, some of you can point me to a
>
>Poor documentation, +1500 pages, are you kidding ?

No.  I've run across several errors and things that are unclear or not
described at all.

>>  Since I've run into the code size limit while coding a couple of systems,
>>  I'm interested in moving code out to DLLs.
>
>You have no interest to invest your time into DLL coding, because the 64 kb
>limit of TS4 will be removed with TS5, probably available in January (1999
>assumed)

When I asked them in early October about the release they thought it would
be out October 31.  If they didn't know within 30 days that they were going
slip their schedule a couple of months, I'm not going to hold my breath.

I was also hoping to use some more advanced programming features (e.g. of
C++) than I am finding available in EasyLanguage.

>>  2) What the following functions for?
>>  	SetEquity(), GetEquity(), CreateEquitySeries()
>
>These functions are global variables functions available in a special version
>of the TS_KIT.DLL that has been available 5 years ago from Omega, but that is
>not provided withthe later versions
>This DLL is still available from my web site ( www.sirtrade.com).
>I wrote an article in TS Express 5 years ago explaining how to use these
>functions.

I'm sorry, I'm confused.  I just bought my TS4 this year and the
documentation that came with it (the UserDLLs.wri file) described these
functions.  Are you suggesting that even though they are documented they
don't exist in my TS_KIT.DLL?

>>  work has been under Unix.  Can someone suggest some reading on how I can
>>  get upto speed on DLLs?  Are they just like shared libraries under Unix?
>>
>No.
>The DLL's are compiled and linked with TS_KIT.H
>They are specific to TradeStation.

Right, I was just curious if Windows DLLs and Unix shared libraries
operated by the same principles.

>You need a 16 bits C compiler to build them, like Borland 3.1
>If you are not familiar with C, you will spend a lot of time to make them
work
>as expected.

I'm familiar with C, but are you suggesting that I can't use a C++
compiler?  (even if my function prototypes match C function prototypes)

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Dave Wieringa

BTW, for anyone else reading this who my suggest TradeLab.  Since yesterday
I've recieved a number of suggestions to check it out when it becomes
available, so I'm also considering that as a very viable option.  Thanks.