Re: EasyButNotDocumentedLanguage DLL Questions ;^)

Dans un courrier daté du 13/12/98 02:49:15 Heure d2iver Pari15 Madrid,
wieringa@xxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

snip

>  I have several (9+) years of software development experience, however I
>  continually find myself frusterated over the poor documentation that
>  accompanies the high priced TS4.  Hopefully, some of you can point me to a
>  better source of documentation or will be kind enough to answer some of my
>  questions.

Poor documentation, +1500 pages, are you kidding ?

>  Since I've run into the code size limit while coding a couple of systems,
>  I'm interested in moving code out to DLLs.

You have no interest to invest your time into DLL coding, because the 64 kb
limit of TS4 will be removed with TS5, probably available in January (1999
assumed)

>  I just finished reading the UserDLLs.wri file that came with TS4.  Can
>  someone answer these questions:
>
>  1) In several places there is reference to "circular buffer".  Can someone
>  give me a context to put this in?  I understand the concept of a circular
>  buffer, but what is it being used for?  I don't see it documented anywhere.

You do not have to use this.
The size of the circular buffer ( mainly used when dealing with arrays) is
managed by the TS_KIT.DLL.

>  2) What the following functions for?
>  	SetEquity(), GetEquity(), CreateEquitySeries()

These functions are global variables functions available in a special version
of the TS_KIT.DLL that has been available 5 years ago from Omega, but that is
not provided withthe later versions
This DLL is still available from my web site ( www.sirtrade.com).
I wrote an article in TS Express 5 years ago explaining how to use these
functions.

>  My development under Windows is limited to databases languages such as
>  dBASE and FoxPro (a couple of years ago).  The last several years all of my
>  work has been under Unix.  Can someone suggest some reading on how I can
>  get upto speed on DLLs?  Are they just like shared libraries under Unix?

No.
The DLL's are compiled and linked with TS_KIT.H
They are specific to TradeStation.
You need a 16 bits C compiler to build them, like Borland 3.1
If you are not familiar with C, you will spend a lot of time to make them work
as expected.
Again, you have better to avoid DLL coding if your goal is to break the 64kb
barrier.
Better is to use a Global DLL product like Doug Deming (Investment
Engineering, see the links page from the sirtrade web) and use the
IncludeSystem TradeStation feature ( you can build bigger systems by linking
several 64kb systems).

>  What compilers can people suggest?  Currently, I'd prefer to work in C++.
>  Preferably a C++ compiler that is ISO/ANSI compliant (or close to it - I'd
>  like the STL and such).  So far I'm considering Microsoft's product and the
>  free product Cygnus is putting out.  ...although I know little about MS's
>  product at this point.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Dave Wieringa
>  Scottsdale, AZ