Re: EasyButNotDocumentedLanguage DLL Questions ;^)

At 8:49 PM -0500 12/12/98, David Wieringa wrote:

>I have several (9+) years of software development experience, however I
>continually find myself frusterated over the poor documentation that
>accompanies the high priced TS4. Hopefully, some of you can point me to a
>better source of documentation or will be kind enough to answer some of my
>questions.

My standard advice on this topic is:

  > Look at and understand how the functions supplied with TradeStation
    work. The coding is usually pretty straightforward but not very
    efficient by programming standards. At least it is usually pretty
    easy to understand and points out a lot of the useful techniques.

  > Subscribe to the TSExpress Newsletter and buy all the back issues.
    This is the best source of programming tricks I have seen published.
    (See:  http://www.insideedgesystems.com)

  > Sam Tennis published a newsletter for a while. I found the back
    issues useful also. I don't know if they are still available but
    his web page is: http://www.gate.net/~skt/VISTA.html. (Sam also
    answered questions for a moderate fee.)

    at http://www.insideedgesystems.com/educatio.htm

  > There are lots of Solutions Providers who will do consulting for a
    fee. See the http://www.omegaresearch.com/solutionproviders/.

There are a lot of idiosyncrasies in how the various TradeStation functions
work that are very obscure - particularly the ones related to reporting
information on trading systems (such as "MarketPosition"). You can discover
them yourself painfully over time or you can invest a little more money in
educational materials and learn them quickly.

(I have no financial interest in any of the sources mentioned other than
being a happy customer.)

Bob Fulks