EasyButNotDocumentedLanguage DLL Questions ;^)

Greetings Omega List,

I'm new to the list - joined a couple of weeks ago.  My brother and I have
been studying the markets and trading ideas "in our free time" for the last
2 years or so and we're playing with SuperCharts and TradeStation in order
to test some of our ideas.

We owe our introduction into this business to Ken Roberts.  Many of our
early ideas came from Ken, Larry Williams and Tom DeMark.  Many thanks to
each of them.

I have several (9+) years of software development experience, however I
continually find myself frusterated over the poor documentation that
accompanies the high priced TS4.  Hopefully, some of you can point me to a
better source of documentation or will be kind enough to answer some of my
questions.

Since I've run into the code size limit while coding a couple of systems,
I'm interested in moving code out to DLLs.

I just finished reading the UserDLLs.wri file that came with TS4.  Can
someone answer these questions:

1) In several places there is reference to "circular buffer".  Can someone
give me a context to put this in?  I understand the concept of a circular
buffer, but what is it being used for?  I don't see it documented anywhere.

2) What the following functions for?
	SetEquity(), GetEquity(), CreateEquitySeries()

My development under Windows is limited to databases languages such as
dBASE and FoxPro (a couple of years ago).  The last several years all of my
work has been under Unix.  Can someone suggest some reading on how I can
get upto speed on DLLs?  Are they just like shared libraries under Unix?

What compilers can people suggest?  Currently, I'd prefer to work in C++.
Preferably a C++ compiler that is ISO/ANSI compliant (or close to it - I'd
like the STL and such).  So far I'm considering Microsoft's product and the
free product Cygnus is putting out.  ...although I know little about MS's
product at this point.

Thanks,

Dave Wieringa
Scottsdale, AZ