Re: S.O.S. BMI Symbols Changes

Alex,

> But if my collection under old symbol will stop on
> Friday, and on Monday it would be collected under the new symbol
> could I combine the data?

No, no different symbol names cannot be combined - in principle.

The only way I can see is the following.

0. At the end of todays trading you backup your portfolio.

1. At the end of todays trading you change the symbol names to the
new symbol names. (rename)

2. You copy out the data of the new symbols (obviously they still
contain the old history)

3. You change the name back of the symbols in the portfolio to the
old names.

4. You add the NEW symbol names to your portfolio.

5. You paste-in the data that you have copied out under 2.

Then you have got two symbols with identical histories and it doesn't
bother you which one BMI chooses to update.

Gerrit Jacobsen

> I just talk to BMI tech. support. They are saying that they are working
> to keep old symbols for indexes so users of TS would not have to change
> index symbols.
>
> Unfortunately, no one at BMI knows will we have to change symbols or
> not. So the best they have to suggest is to enter new index symbols, but
> not to delete old ones. The change (or not change) will take an effect
> on Monday.
>
> If I do enter new index symbols and keep old ones, and then on monday
> BMI will broadcast the new symbols, would I be able to combine the data
> collected under the new symbol with data collected before under old
> symbol? I know if I change the symbol name (as Omega suggested) and BMI
> would broadcast the data under new symbol name then I would have
> continue data. But if my collection under old symbol will stop on
> Friday, and on Monday it would be collected under the new symbol could I
> combine the data?
>
> I called Omega tech support, they are all on the beach...
>
> Please, any one who is an expert on TS enlighten me...
>
> Thanks. Very truly yours, Alex.

Gerrit Jacobsen
http://www.tickscape.com