Unidentified subject!

i was disappointed recently when trying to download some
American Fund mutual fund data to find that a floating point error
occurred when eod data collected from telescan was distributing to
the datasets (4.1.3 version of the downloader).  somehow fidelity mf
data is ok.

after speaking multiple times to omega and telescan, apparently
the ver 4 data format for "certain" omega daily stored eod data will
sometimes crash the downloader during distribution.  the crash is
severe enough to leave fragments in core and require a shutdown of
the computer.  it appears to me that omega is slowly making it
impossible to use telescan for eod data.  thats unfortunate since
telescan has excellent toll free support (even on weekends and late
into the night est).  one can also get unlimited history when needed
online; all for a flat $10/mo. i have found telescan to be responsive
and very courteous to requests, and the data of adequate
accuracy.

this is opposed to toll calls to dialdata, at least $70/mo for starters
to data access, with 2 years historical data available (oh yes, you
can use the cd), and long distance charges for tech ass. during
business hours.

is omega slowly phasing out telescan?  is it because dialdata
recently bought omega (rumor?).  omega claimed that telescan has
recently "changed" some of their data by adding something to it,
which telescan denies and doesn't understand. maybe omega can
explain; or is it just an excuse?  i had to ask to speak to bill cruz
for a reason as to why they are apparently dropping telescan
support (i have to presume its not important enough to continue to
support one of two data vendors automatically supported by the
downloader).  still waiting.  does omega really want customers to
buy metastock etc just for their downloader?  why has omega not
gone to internet download capability (2x speed) via telescan as
essentially all other major programs have converted to, which
telescan recommends.  tech support at telescan uses omega
downloader 3.1.3 which was fine until omega "upgraded" to the ver
4 downloader and data format, which essentially embraces dialdata
(cd etc) and corrupts telescan usage.  with the difference in price
between dialdata and telescan, it won't take long to make up the
difference of buying another downloader, not to mention the better
customer support afforded by telescan.

below is a message from omega.  anyone else coming up with
similar experiences? comments, or suggestions would be
appreciated.

----------------------------------

Dear Dr. Nyhart,

We are aware of the problems you are having downloading Mutual
Funds fromTelescan. We have tried all the possible workarounds
up to and including installing an earlier version of the Omega
Downloader. Unfortunately, nothing worked.

There is a known problem with downloading Mutual Funds from
Telescan. We do not have a solution. There are no plans to change
the Omega Downloader.  We do not recommend nor support using
Telescan as a data feed for mutual funds. The only solution is to
use Dial Data for downloading Mutual Fund data.

Sincerely,
Melody A. Blais
Omega Research, Inc.
Customer Support Supervisor