RE: Level II

  • To: "List, Omega" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Level II
  • From: "Brian Massey" <bnm03@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 11:14:11 -0500 (EST)

SAWN WROTE:
"I still think that the MM box and Level II screens are vital if you're
going to scalp."

Yes if you're gong to scalp.  But I would question why scalp vs longer
trading (1-2 days, 60 minutes, 30 minutes, etc).  IT's more work and the
probablities of loosing increase ecause you're making more trades through
the you are taking only a small portion out.  And no question there are
those out there who do make money in SOES scalping but then there are those
that loose too probably about the same porportion as those who loose money
in stocks swing trading off of level 1.  So I would ask again is SOES worth
it?  Many loosing traders think that all their problems would be solved if
they had more informaiton which would translate into better trading and that
shorter time frames = more money when in reality the problem is more
fundmanetal in their trading.  Can knowing what the hammers are doing,
albeit after the fact because prices don't show up in SOES until after the
primary transactions have completed, be gleaned from volume on a level 1
stock chart,  Bid/Ask etc? (I don't ST trade stocks).  What was the time lag
like between when the actual transaction was done on another invisible
system and when it showed up on SOES?  Does this mitigate the usefulness of
the signal?  While SOES might be real useful for YAHOO (not that you can't
trade YAHOO without it) we know that many traders like the smaller cap
stocks where the big boys don't play usually and the pastures are greener
with newbies.  So is SOES really necearry in the smaller markets?   I also
find it interesting that you have left SOES like others on this list.  If I
were considering trading SOES, this would make me think twice about it.

Your insigt on this issue is great and I'm sure many benefited from your
description of how you use of SOES.

Brian.