RE: Level II

SHAWN wrote:

"But the simple fact was that the best traders in my shop were the ones who
had no market opinion, didn't watch CNBC, didn't read WSJ, didn't care what
the news was. They just traded stocks on momentum."

There you have it.  Price and momentum = the right information = makes any
market tradable (futures, level 1 stocks, level 2 stocks, mutual funds,
whatever...) = the needs for SOES level 2 information questionable.  This
was my point, if you're trading on price action then I believe you don't
need all the MM and crap delivered through level 2.  This idea is supported
by people who have tried it and left -- such as Mr. Augustine -- for other
non-level 2 markets.  I stated that stocks (such as INTC, DELL, MSFT, etc)
are eaiser to trade than futures because stocks -- in almost any market --
trend better (all timeframes) than most futures markets.  Price patterns at
turning points hold up well and are most of the time clearly visible.
OB/OS/MOM indicators hold up very well in the markets I listed.  In thinner
stock markets, these indicators might not work as well.  For me, almost
everyday and the next day's open has implications for daily direction and
market tone for that day.  In the morning this tone is either confirmed or
rejected.  Here's a tip: intraday markets (I'm thinking futures) generally
have two dominant thrusts - one up and one down.  If the market doesn't go
up significantly during the upthrust in the morning then guess where it's
going come afternoon?  Sometimes the up way overshadows the down and visa
versa.  There were several of those today.  In most cases, the velocity and
distance of these thrusts (or lack of) determine how big the other will be.
This is part of my context I fit a market to when I go into a day.  It
doesn't hold up all the time, but generally I can count on it. You may think
this is crap but I believe it's this kind of information that gives me the
best most reliable picture of where price is going.  I also extend this
thinking to a weekly timeframe.

This is an example of trading with price.

"It was really hard to clear my mind, not have opinions about what should
happen, and have the discipline to let the prices solely guide me. But I
became a much better Level II trader when I did that."

My questions is: if you let price guide you, why do you need SOES and MM
information?  Level 1 should be more than enough information for price and
MOM.

Brian.