Unidentified subject!

I am new to the art/science of technical analysis and systems and am
interested in learning much more.  I am considering trading for a living
at some point.  My elementary questions to the readers of this list are:

1) I realize no method is perfect, but can technical analysis be as
effective a method for equity (or other market) selection and timing
as compared to analyzing fundamentals or some other method?

2) If the answer to #1 was positive, is automating the process to a
trading system the next logical step?  Do real/full-time traders use
trading systems to make real income?

3) If the answer to #2 was positive, would you recommend the
TradeStation software to a close friend?  It seems from this list more
people are dissatisfied or angry with the product or Omega Research as
are not.  Is this a true read or am I just hearing the squeaky wheels?
Is the product a necessity for a serious ta/system trader?  If you had
it to do again, would you plunk down another $2400+ dollars for it?  If
not TS then what?

4) If the answer to #3 was positive, were you successful and what were
your experiences developing your own profitable system?  Did you find it
necessary to obtain one from another source?  If so, how does one
evaluate these sources?

I don't mind putting in hours and hours of reading and research and
adding this to my share of hard-knocks, but I want to feel that my
initial learning efforts are headed in the right direction.  Any
comments or opinions from individuals who are  truely "walking-the-walk"
would be very much appreciated.

Scott.

P.S.  My apologies to those who've heard these questions for the
10,000th time.  Maybe a FAQ for new comers is available?