RE: Plugging vendors and their systems, Part II

A while back, Andy posted the Aberration system code. I ran it on all 35 commodities that Keith listed on his web-site. (www.trade-system.com). 1/1/80 - 12/31/97. CSI continuous back-adjusted contracts. $75 slip/comm per trade.

It's legit. My numbers matched up with his...or at least close enough. With the notable exception of the SP and NYSE. He had both of those making money, $16K, $30K respectively. I had the SP down something like $25K, I forget the NYSE. Since he's doing 35 commodities, a few discrepancies don't change the character of the combined equity curve much. I plotted the combined equity curve in Excel and compared it to his closely.

Interesting thing...I ran a couple of other simple trend systems on the same data set. The ubiquitous turtle 20x20 breakout, Chande's 63ma, and they all kind of performed the same.

Just goes to show that it doesn't matter too much what trend system you use, as long as it's measuring intermediate to long term trends. The other thing was the shotgun approach...trade every market with any liquidity with a trend system, keep your risk per trade under 1%, and stick with it a long, long time and you will almost certainly make money. Problem is you need a ton of money to trade those 35 commodities...like major 6 figures.

One other thing...the equity curves are getting more noisy...definately more in the mid 90's versus the early 80s. Translation...declining reward/risk. I quess all these computers are squeezing the inefficiency out of even these long term trend systems. I don't know.

Scott Hoffman