Re: Real-time internet feeds and TS

Ron Augustine wrote:

> Chris Cooper, owner of Quote.com recently commented in one of the trading
> groups that there are sections of the Internet that are not available to
> regular users, but are reserved for vendors that are specifically
> transmitting data that is time-critical

As it was explained to me, the frequent problems incurred are very deep seated in
the Internet backbone.  Even with companies like UUnet giving preferential
treatment to data providers, the complexity of the situation will still cause
innumerable problems.  The extent of these transfer problems are well beyond what a
typical internet user might encounter.

> -- Quote.com is using this for their
> new real-time service and it appears to be very fast and without down-time.
> The cost for real-time quotes is only around $70 to $90- per month.

Again, these type of quotes are not a problem, but full-blown data is a different
matter.  I'm not saying that this medium doesn't have any use, but it would be
confined to either casual or mobile users.  The reliability cannot be rendered
anything close to what is required by professional traders.

> As far as down-time and not being able to dial onto the Net is concerned-- a
> Cable Modem connection is live 24 hours per day...

None of this has anything to do with connection speeds, or dial-ups; it's a
networking problem.  I've got a cable modem as well, and while this can help a bit,
it doesn't address the real problems encountered here.  The down-time isn't with
the provider, it's due to network breakdowns between the source and your provider's
connection to the backbone.  Although this technology will improve over the next
few years, I seriously doubt that it can be rendered reasonably reliable anytime
soon.

A.J.