Re: Real-time internet feeds and TS

bruceb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I was wondering what the current status was regarding TS and real-time
> internet data feeds.  Is there currently any way using specialized
> hardware/software to feed real-time data from an internet provider into TS?
> Does anybody know if Omega plans to allow TS 5.0 to use such feeds?

I have no idea what the status of this is, but I can tell you that, if it was
available, it is a last resort, only suitable in situations where a broadcast
feed is not available.  Among the available means of transmission, the internet
is grossly inferior in terms of reliability.  Besides, the service isn't all
that cheaper, if at all.  Sure, you can get quotes pretty cheaply, but this is
not the same as the formatted data stream that providers such as S+P, BMI, etc.
provide.  I'm actually paying less for my C-Band feed than I used to pay for
internet data.

>   Even if you're a die-hard Signal/BMI/Comstock
> user with no plans of switching, just the availability of internet feeds
> will put some downward pressure on the prices these other services charge.

The internet isn't competitive here, and I doubt it will ever be - unless, of
course, you don't mind going down several times per day, and not get on at all
at times.  My former provider even went as far as to claim that if reliability
is an issue for you, you are better off with broadcast data.  That would be
putting it mildly.

All the best in 98
A.J.