Re: Writing DLLs?

  • To: taracent@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Writing DLLs?
  • From: Brian Dalby <bdalby@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 12:26:39 -0800 (PST)

While VB5 has added the ability to create DLLs, the VB5 DLLs are ActiveX
DLLs, not the standard DLLs that allow you to export a function.  Plus I
assume the VB5 DLLs would be 32 bit not the 16 bit required by the
current Tradestation release.

I think the current optimum DLL language is Microsoft Visual C++ V1.52.
It is my understanding this was the last Microsoft 16 bit C/C++
compiler.

If this is not correct, please help me see the light.

thanks
Brian Dalby

R Tareilo wrote:
<<<<
Up till Visual Basic 5, you had to write in C or C++.  But with VB5, you
can do the same thing.  While it is still no easy task, it is easier
than C.  A good local VB programmer could develop your code for you at
areasonable charge.  If you do your own, there are some good reference
books out in the market place that help developing ActiveX and DLL type
code.  Just make sure you write your code for TS in the 16 bit version.
While Windows 95 and NT support 32 bit, TS and SC don't.

Jim Lovejoy wrote:
<<<
We are constantly running into the 64kb barrier for ela programs.  Is
there some kind of work around?
One aspect we are looking at is writing DLLs....

1) Am I correct in saying you have to program DLLs with C or some high
level
language?