More Bad News for Prophet Users

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: More Bad News for Prophet Users
  • From: Carroll Slemaker <cslemaker1@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:16:03 -0800 (PST)

On 12/16 Craig Nelson wrote:

> I received the response below from Prophet in regards to why Prophet's > INDU cash prices differed from Bloomberg's data.  Can you believe the > BS answer I got?!

I'm not sure why you feel this is a BS answer.  On Signal, I get  TWO
cash values for the DJIA index, one called $INDU and one called $DJ.
The $INDU is the "theoretical" value which shows as the high a value
calculated using the day's high for each individual component stock
without regard to when that individual high occurred.  Likewise for the
day's low.

$DJ, on the other hand, is the "actual" - that is, it is the highest
value reached by the instantaneous value calculated continuously during
the day.  These corresponding highs ($INDU/$DJ) and lows  DO  differ
quite significantly.

Carroll Slemaker