[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Stocks >= 50% in value downwards per quarter

mc,

Not sure what Michael's ultimate goal is but as I started thinking
more about the idea of considering quarterly data I realized that
there may be some real value in using something like this as a
screening tool. With just a few changes the QROC could be used to
look for stocks just starting to move although those moves are
primarily in a southward direction right now. Still I see a great
number of uses regardless of the markets direction.

Oh and the version 2 of the Quarterly Period Indicator was a K.I.S.S.
idea that my son had. His idea shows the quarter without
consideration for the year.

There are tons of ways to simplify these codes. Unless space is a
priority I usually stay with a code that works and that is easily
understood. The reason is that quite often the request coming in are
something like "I'm new to metastock and would like some help coding
this".

I also love the eloquence of code which is short and sweet. Hopefully
these type of contributions will stimulate our new friends into
digging deeper into the nuances of the metastock coding lanquage and
find out for themselves how much fun it can be.

Thanks for the valued contributions!

Preston

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "p_panther_73" <mchantzi@xxx>
wrote:

> If I get it right, then adding one-two lines to Preston's code
should
> do the trick:
>
> qstart:=Frac(Month()/3)<>0 AND Ref(Frac(Month()/3),-1)=0;
> a:=ValueWhen(1,qstart,C);
> QROC:=100*(c/a-1);
> lsq:=LowestSince(1,qstart,qroc);
> lsq<=-50;
>
> This will plot a "1" whenever we have a more than 50% fall at any
> point during the current quarter.
>
> It can also be used to indicate max fall during the quarter, if the
> last line is replaced by simply plotting lsq.
>
> Regards,
>
> mc
>
> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mdtmn" <mdtmn@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Preston,
> >            Thanks again for the reply
> > cheers
> > Michael B
> >

> > --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pumrysh <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Michael,
> > >
> > > What I gave you was a Quarterly ROC. It begins calculating a
new ROC
> > > at the beginning of each quarter. I don't think you will find
> > > anything like it in a web search.
> > >
> > > The formula for a ROC is today's Close minus a close in the
past. So
> > > is "close to close" today's close minus yesterday's close?
> > >
> > > If that is the case then why not use the gapdown function. A
gap down
> > > occurs if yesterday's low is greater than today's high. True it
> > > measures lows to highs but a daily move on the magnatude of 50%
is
> > > going to be a gap down day.
> > >

> > > If you decide to use the indicator that I gave you, its a
simple
> > > matter of putting the indicators that I gave you together in
order to
> > > do a search. The indicator would look like this:
> > >

> > > {Quarterly ROC %}
> > > qstart:=Frac(Month()/3)<>0 AND Ref(Frac(Month()/3),-1)=0;
> > > a:=ValueWhen(1,qstart,C);
> > > QROC:=((C-A)/A)*100; {Percentage}
> > > Quarter:=If(Month()=1 OR Month()=2 OR Month()=3,1,
> > > If(Month()=4 OR Month()=5 OR Month()=6,2,
> > > If(Month()=7 OR Month()=8 OR Month()=9,3,4))); {end}
> > >
> > > x:=Quarter=3 AND (Qroc < -50);
> > > Alert(x,90)
> > >

> > > The X variable will give a binary signal of one if the Qroc
drops
> > > below minus 50 during the 3rd quarter. The alert function holds
the
> > > value true for the next 90 days.
> > >

> > > Preston

ROC of