[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Helping each other / good ethics

Tony,

Interesting observations.

We are in a very interesting period of time for Metastock and
technical analysis in general. There are a number of different
camps, so to speak, out there. Some people are just trying to learn
what they can, some trying to help others, and some trying to make a
buck.

So should I allow one group and not the other? My own feeling is
that there is something to be learned from everyone irregardless of
the side of the fence they are on. You as a consumer should use your
own good judgement in deciding what is right for yourself. I do
moderate this site and will allow most anything that is focused on
metastock.

A good example is a post that I allowed from Paul(PP) that was about
his Dracula System. The reason that I allowed the post is because it
was related to Metastock and is what he used to build his product.

Should you buy it? I'm not the person to ask about that. I know he's
taking a lot of heat about his system on the other group forums.
That's something he'll have to deal with. I personally don't endorse
anything unless I am capable of verifying its merit. A good example
is Roy's newsletter which I do subscribe to and recommend...as in I
pay for it just like all of the other subscribers. Even then I would
strongly suggest that you use due diligence in deciding if its your
cup of tea.

So are some of the ideas and formulas posted here going to end up
being sold to the public for a profit. Yes! As a matter of fact its
a bigger problem that some may be aware of. I don't endorse it but
it is going to happen. My hope is that the consumer is going to be
smart enough to realize that they can get the same information for
free right here or in some of the other forums. I would hope that
the person/s practising this would be up front in letting you know
where they got their work, if not then there is all the more reason
for you as a consumer to question their benefit to you.

As far as being courteous & friendly, I expect that of all
contributors to the site.

Hope this helps,

Preston

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tony M <t4tonym@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Preston,
>
> Yes, of course I am happy to explain, and I can best do this by
making the following contrasts.

> 1) The "constructive & positive":
> In addition to your role as moderator of the site, you provide
many useful and helpful
> comments, suggestions, and guidance to everyone. I see you sharing
information freely
> with people who ask for help. This is great, and it inspires me to
also freely help other people
> when I think that maybe I can (although I am still somewhat of a
beginner with Metastock). In your case, by your
> good efforts both as moderator and contributor, you are doing
something very worthwhile, helping us all to
> improve our technical skills and building a network of "Metastock
friends" who can then help each other.
> There are also several other (obviously very experienced) users
who contribute to the site, providing

> help and answers. One such person is Roy Larsen, who is  also
helpful and constructive. I am always happy to
> acknowledge the help of good people. My  congratulations to both
of you, and I sincerely wish you both all the best.

> 2) The "OK in the middle":
> Some of the visitors to the site seem to appear once and then
disappear. Some ask questions that indicate they are beginners who
know even less that what I do !! These people ask questions rather
than helping others, because they are obviously only just starting
out and learning. That's fine. There are also some people are quite
openly using the opportunity that the site provides for them to do a
bit of overt marketing, for example by sending their advertising to
anyone whose name & email address is displayed for them to see.
That's fine too. The ones who have sent me their e-flyers or
whatever have been polite & courteous about it, with words such
as " ...  and if you are not interested, then please just junk this
email, and my apologies for disturbing". No problem.

> 3) The "does NOT feel OK":
> When someone posts on the site in a manner that is neither that of
a beginner asking for help & advice, nor that of an experienced user
who is genuinely trying to help others and answering their
questions, nor being courteous & friendly, nor contributing in a
constructive way, but simply seeking to gain information for free
from other genuine visitors and contributors to the site, and then
using it for sale somewhere else on the internet, then this
definitely feels "not OK".

> I do not want to "name names", and this particular individual's
postings are not overtly offensive, nor is their solicitation
particularly blatant, and perhaps it has either "slipped beneath
your radar screen", or perhaps you are already aware of it and
consider that the best way to deal with it is just to let it go by.
Obviously you as moderator are in a much better position than myself
or anyone else to discern what is the best course of action. In fact
this is a rather subtle issue, because in one sense, perhaps
according to the rules of the site, this person may not be doing
anything obviously "wrong". But it  definitely does not feel in
keeping with the previous good spirit of your site, and I am not the
only one who has noticed. If you look carefully, I think you will
see that it is already starting to have a small but perceptible
negative effect. I hope that further damage does not occur to the
good reputation and good feelings from all the sincere efforts that
you
>  and many of us would like to put into freely and honestly sharing
our ideas on the site.

> I  trust that there is nothing in my email with which you would
disagree. I hope you will post that email as it stands, and that the
person in question will know who they are, get the message, and just
quietly clean up their act. If you prefer not to post what I have
written, then of course I respect your decision as moderator, but it
will certainly leave me wondering why.

> Respectfully and with best regards,
> Tony
>
> ============================

attempting

> to gain free information from other people, and then exploiting it
>
> for the commercial gain of themselves or their friends."
>

> Thanks,
>

> Preston
>

> --- In equismetastock@ yahoogroups. com, Tony M <t4tonym@ > wrote:
>

> > Dear EquisMetastock group,
>

> > I like this site and I enjoy reading the questions and helping
>
> others if I can when time permits.
>
> > Sometimes I have put quite a lot of my time and effort into
this,

> either via postings on the site,
>
> > or by personal emails direct to people who have given their name
&

> email address.
>
> > I am not a commercial programmer, nor do I work for Metastock,
nor

> do I gain any personal
>
> > income at all from anything that I contribute to this or to any
>
> other website. I am simply a part-time
>
> > Metastock user with another "day job".
>

> > I really appreciate the sincere efforts of everyone who
>
> contributes to this site to help others and share our knowledge
>
> freely.
>
> > I am quite happy to communicate with anyone who either helps
>
> others for free, or else is open about their
>
> > commercial interests if they have any. This includes the people
>
> who advertise their programming services via this site.
>
> > It is good to know of professional programmers, and I am happy
>
> pay for professional programming help if I have to.
>
> > Also with regard to anyone selling commercial Equis-related
>
> publications such as subscription newsletters, or products
>
> > such as various Metastock add-ins, by various different people
>
> around the world, I think that if you want to advertise here,
>
> > OK, within moderation.
>

> > However I do object when I find people abusing the goodwill of
the

> sincere users of this site by attempting to gain free information
>
> > from other people, and then exploiting it for the commercial
gain

> of themselves or their friends. This is not decent ethical
behavior.

> > When it happens, as has occurred in the last 2 weeks, it starts
>
> severely degrade the quality of the site. I know that I am
>
> > not the only person who has noticed this happening.
>

> > I don't know if the moderators are aware of what is going on,
and

> personally I do not believe that censorship is a good thing, but I
>
> do hope that
>
> > the quality of this site will not become degraded by one or more
>
> exploitative individual(s) who abuse the goodwill of others.
>

> > Please, if you do have your own commercial interests, then at
>
> least have the decency to be up-front and open about them,
>
> > rather than trying to get hold of other people's research
efforts

> for free and then selling them elsewhere.

> [...]
align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
> #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
> font-weight:bold;}
> #ygrp-vital a {