Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Helping each other / good ethics

Hi Preston,

Yes, of course I am happy to explain, and I can best do this by making the following contrasts.

1) The "constructive & positive":
In addition to your role as moderator of the site, you provide many useful and helpful
comments, suggestions, and guidance to everyone. I see you sharing information freely
with people who ask for help. This is great, and it inspires me to also freely help other people
when I think that maybe I can (although I am still somewhat of a beginner with Metastock). In your case, by your
good efforts both as moderator and contributor, you are doing something very worthwhile, helping us all to
improve our technical skills and building a network of "Metastock friends" who can then help each other.
There are also several other (obviously very experienced) users who contribute to the site, providing

help and answers. One such person is Roy Larsen, who is  also helpful and constructive. I am always happy to
acknowledge the help of good people. My  congratulations to both of you, and I sincerely wish you both all the best.

2) The "OK in the middle":
Some of the visitors to the site seem to appear once and then disappear. Some ask questions that indicate they are beginners who know even less that what I do !! These people ask questions rather than helping others, because they are obviously only just starting out and learning. That's fine. There are also some people are quite openly using the opportunity that the site provides for them to do a bit of overt marketing, for example by sending their advertising to anyone whose name & email address is displayed for them to see. That's fine too. The ones who have sent me their e-flyers or whatever have been polite & courteous about it, with words such as " ...  and if you are not interested, then please just junk this email, and my apologies for disturbing". No problem.

3) The "does NOT feel OK":
When someone posts on the site in a manner that is neither that of a beginner asking for help & advice, nor that of an experienced user who is genuinely trying to help others and answering their questions, nor being courteous & friendly, nor contributing in a constructive way, but simply seeking to gain information for free from other genuine visitors and contributors to the site, and then using it for sale somewhere else on the internet, then this definitely feels "not OK".

I do not want to "name names", and this particular individual's postings are not overtly offensive, nor is their solicitation particularly blatant, and perhaps it has either "slipped beneath your radar screen", or perhaps you are already aware of it and consider that the best way to deal with it is just to let it go by. Obviously you as moderator are in a much better position than myself or anyone else to discern what is the best course of action. In fact this is a rather subtle issue, because in one sense, perhaps according to the rules of the site, this person may not be doing anything obviously "wrong". But it  definitely does not feel in keeping with the previous good spirit of your site, and I am not the only one who has noticed. If you look carefully, I think you will see that it is already starting to have a small but perceptible negative effect. I hope that further damage does not occur to the good reputation and good feelings from all the sincere efforts that you
 and many of us would like to put into freely and honestly sharing our ideas on the site.

I  trust that there is nothing in my email with which you would disagree. I hope you will post that email as it stands, and that the person in question will know who they are, get the message, and just quietly clean up their act. If you prefer not to post what I have written, then of course I respect your decision as moderator, but it will certainly leave me wondering why.

Respectfully and with best regards,
Tony