Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Help with writing an Explorer in MS

Hi Chorlton

>Can I ask what you mean by deciding on a filter setting?  Surely in
the filter I would write colA AND colB;  or am I missing something?

It wasn't clear (to me at least) whhether you wanted "colA AND colB" or "colA AND colB",
or possibly including another factor consideration from column C. You're clear on what's
needed and you know how to do it so that's all that matters.

> Also, can you explain what the indicator is for. Sorry for the
questions but I'm still trying to learn the MS language and in this
example I can't understand why the indicator is needed :-/

The indicator is so that you can see on a chart what's really happening rather than try and
visualize in your head what you think is happening. When you're in doubt about how to perform
some task in an exploration it's a good idea to create an indicator first. Then you can see on a
chart if, when and where the result does not conform to what you trying to achieve.

Even experienced users transfer exploration columns to indicators from time to time in order to
check their logical operation at times - it's very useful technique. After all, an exploration column
is really just an indicator from which you get to "see" just the value for the last bar. Use the
indicator technique to make life and learning with MetaStock a little easier.

Regards

Roy

Thanks Roy,

Chorlton

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roy Larsen" <rlarsen@xxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Chorlton
>

> Try this for the exploration. You'll need to decide on a filter
setting.

> {colA}
> (H-L)>=4*Abs(O-C) AND H<>L;
>
> {colB}
> A:=(H-L)>=4*Abs(O-C) AND H<>L;
> Sum(A,30)>11;
>
> {filter}
> {as required}
>

> Use this indicator to see what the binary (logical) result from
each expression is.

> {New Indicator}
> A:=(H-L)>=4*Abs(O-C) AND H<>L;
> A+1.1;