Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Question re invalid period in latches

Thanks for the encouraging words Roy.

I have not visited any forums for a long time and I did not know of
the existence of the Forum DLL.

Thanks for pointing me towards it.

Regards,

Colin

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roy Larsen" <rlarsen@xxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Colin
>

> If the sentence you've picked up on was the only time I'd ever been
wrong I'd be pretty happy. It seems that the wording I've used is not
strictly accurate, and neither does it convey the message I intended.
The essential point to take from the discussion is that an N/A plot
from a latch expression can extend much further than one would
expect. Encapsulating all possible permutations of latch input
signals in one sentence is a difficult task, and my attempt to do so
seems to have come up short.

> In my own defence, I must say that there are several revisions of
the document discussing latches, and I can't find the same statement
in the latest version. It seems that you have an excellent grasp of
the subject matter, so you could probably put this form of latch
behind you and use the Equis Forum dll latch function in the future.

> ExtFml( "Forum.Latch",N,X,0,0);
>
> This dll doesn't require an "Init" variable, and it appears to be
impervious by the nuances that affect BarsSince(), ValueWhen() and
other similar MetaStock functions.

> Regards
>
> Roy

In
> other words it will return a value of N/A instead of a legitimate
> value. This N/A period will extend from the first bar on the chart
> until the `set' signal is true and the `reset' signal is valid.
>
> My difficulty is with the last sentence.
>
> As I understand it, BarsSince(foo) becomes valid the first time foo
> is true and therefore the expression BarsSince(N) < BarsSince(X)
will
> become valid when all its constituents are valid i.e. when N and X
> are both true for the first time. If N happens before X, I can
> envisage a situation where N is true and X is valid but X has not
yet
> been true. In this case the N/A period will extend beyond the
> situaton where "the `set' signal is true and the `reset' signal is
> valid".
>
> Can someone explain to me why the last sentence should not have
read
> something like:
>
> "This N/A period will extend from the first bar on the chart until
> the `set' signal and the `reset' signal have both been true at
least
> once".
>

> Colin

Service.