[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Backups a necessity for MS 9

Jose corrected my numbers, Harry. It should be 40K KB--40,000 KB.
That's my normal file that I keep for backup. But I've used smaller
ones in the past.

The system tester stores not only your systems tests in the ST-Data
file but also the results of the systems test, even though you've
deleted them from your results folder. If you do a lot of systems
tests, the ST File just keeps getting bigger and bigger until the
whole system grinds to a halt. Most people call tech support at that
point and get an ear full of bad news, etc.

Each time I back it up, I export my custom system tests that I have
created since the last backup. Then I install the smaller file and re-
import the new tests. That way the new tests get installed into the
backup. Once the import is done, I run one system's test to make sure
everything works and then I save a copy of the ST-Data file again,
while it's small, as my new backup. I date them and record what's in
them. Sometimes I create an ST_Data file that has certain test
formula's in that I don't want to keep installed all the time but may
want in the future. It's like an archive of systems tests.

The ST-Data file is the only one that is a big problem. However,
outside of the systems tester, the more experts you have in your
experts folder, the slower MS runs and boots up because it has to
load all of the experts before you can start. Pain in the butt!

I don't separate my new custom system test formulas from my old ones.
I just put custom in front of everything I've written to separate
them from everything I've gotten from other sources. I export all the
custom formulas, which includes all the new ones and re-import all of
them.

If you have a bunch of ICE tests, you have to export them and re-
import when you install the smaller ST file or you'll lose the
formulas.

Hope this helps.

Maybe I'll get Roy to put an article in his newsletter on how to get
MS to run faster, what you need to backup and when, and what causes
some problems in MS.

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Harry M. Ward <hmw3@xxxx>
wrote:
> On 8 Sep 2004 17:36:10 -0000, superfragalist wrote:

> >>keep a copy of a small 40 KB file of ST_Data. I export the custom
> >>systems tests and anything else I've added, store the large
ST_Data
> >>file and load the smaller one. Then I download all of the custom
and
> >>new systems stuff. Once that's done, I make a new copy of the
ST_Data

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/BefplB/TM