Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Weekly MACD histogram

Bill, just simply go here:
http://users.bigpond.com/prominex/pegasus.htm#roy

Roy has gone through a lot of trouble to create accurate weekly
indicators for daily charts.  Forget the complexity, and just copy and
paste the formulae into MetaStock.

jose '-)

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bill Saxon" <vondell@xxxx>
wrote:
> I have need to plot a weekly MACD on a daily chart.  Can this
histogram formula be modified to do this or does anyone know where I
could get that formula?  I have tried to figure out something that
would do it but it appears to be a lot more complicated than one would
think.

> TIA
>
> Bill

com/education/technical/custom/indicators/macd.asp
> [...]
>   > > I have already posted your reply on their Metastock forum, so
>   > > hopefully they will remove their formula from their site, or
at
>   least
>   > > try to justify it.
>   >
>   > That will be interesting. I don't really want to get into an
>   argument with Paritech but when I
>   > plotted the formulas you posted the weekly one was so far off it
>   was a joke
>   >
>   > > There's a fiendishly complicated formula for weekly MACD at:
>   > > www.users.bigpond.com/prominex/MetaStock/Roy-63.txt
>   >
>   > This is my formula :-) , hence the name "Roy"
>   > Yes it does look feindishly complicated but quite a bit of the
>   formula has to do with making
>   > allowances for things that can be wrong with the data so that it
>   will exactly emulate the MetaStock
>   > MACD values as plotted on a weekly chart. Try plotting my
formula
>   on a weekly chart and then plot
>   > the MS drop-down indicator over the top of it. There will
possibly
>   be some differences at the left
>   > side of the chart but values should agree to  4 decimal places
at
>   the right unless you only have a
>   > small amount of history.
>   >
>   > My weekly formulas attempt to create exact weekly data from the
>   daily chart and are very accurate in
>   > doing so. Most attempts at weekly data emulation are done on
>   a "near enough is good enough" basis
>   > but in my view that's not good enough. When you have thinly
traded
>   issues, suspensions,
>   > reconstructions, Easter or Christmas breaks, and various other
>   situations that cause gaps in the
>   > data, great care has to be taken to ensure that the right days
are
>   included in the right weeks.
>   >
>   > I could create simpler weekly indicators but for some issues
they
>   would be less accurate. Unless
>   > they are accurate 100% of the time how do you know when they
will
>   be off? The thing with a weekly
>   > formula (for daily charts) is that it must plot the same values
>   that you would see for the standard
>   > MS formula on a weekly periodicy chart. That's the only standard
it
>   can be judged by as far as I'm
>   > concerned.
>   >
>   > I can take you through a complete weekly formula and explain
every
>   detail if you wish. It would take
>   > you a while to absorb but you would learn quite a lot.
>   >
>   > > I suspect that the Paritech formula is trying to calculate
MACD
> [...]
>   again on Friday.
>   >
>   > > I agree with your comment that the Paritech daily MACD
>   is "slightly
>   > > off".  I found this description of the daily MACD histogram in
>   book
>   > > by someone called Dr. Alexander Elder (why do all conmen and
>   shysters
>   > > call themselves "Dr"):
>   >
>   > I don't know that I'd call Dr Elder a conman. He is widely
>   respected in the trading industry and is
>   > the author of a couple of "must have" books.
>   >
>   > The reason why the Paritech MACD is slightly off is because they
>   are using the convventional 12/26
>   > "periods" to create the two exponential moving averages. This is
>   widely accepted as normal so in one
>   > sense these are "more" accurate than the MS version. You need to
>   understand how an EMA is
>   > constructed to understand why these differences show up.
>   >
>   > An EMA adds a proportion of new data for evey bar, and it also
>   retains a portion of old data
>   > (previous value). If the proportion of new data added is 20%
then
>   the proportion of old data
>   > retained is 80%. Can you see that? A standard EMA calculates the
>   amount of new data to add like
>   > this - 2/(1+periods). The actual construction of an EMA follows
so
>   that you can check the code for
>   > yourself.
>   >
>   >   {Exponential Moving Average}
>   > n:=Input("Periods",1,999,10);
>   > R:=2/(n+1); {ratio of new data added each bar}
>   > M:=If(Cum(1)=1,C,PREV*(1-R)+C*R);
>   > M;
>   >
>   > So the factor determining how much new data to add and how much
old
>   data to retain for a 12 period
>   > and 26 period EMA is 2/13 and 2/27 respectively. In decimal
terms
>   this is 0.153846 and 0.074074.
>   > Metastock actually uses values of 0.15 and 0.075 rather than
basing
>   on 12 and 26 periods, and that's
>   > why the MetaStock MACD is slightly of the Paritech code.
>   >
>   > > Page 129:
>   > > 1.  Calculate the 12-day and 26-day exponential moving
averages of
>   > > closing prices.
>   > > 2.  Subtract the 26-day EMA from the 12-day EMA to obtain the
fast
>   > > MACD line.
>   > > 3.  Calculate a 9-day EMA of the fast MACD line to obtain the
slow
>   > > Signal line. Plot both lines to obtain the classic MACD
indicator.
>   > > 4.  Subtract the Signal line from the MACD line to obtain an
MACD-
>   > > Histogram.
>   >
>   > This is the accepted norm but I think may be only only a close
>   approximation of what the creator
>   > intended. I honestly don't know which is the "authentic"
version.
>   At the end of the day they're only
>   > numbers that we interpret how we want. Anyway I have no argument
>   with the there being two different
>   > versions because I understand the slightly different values that
>   each version is based on.
>   >
>   > > The "MetaStock canned version", as you call it, is bound to be
>   > > superior, because at least I've heard of Equis :-), but I've
never
>   > > heard of Dr. Alexander Elder.
>   >
>   > You have now :-)  Don't write him off. There are many "experts"
out
>   there but just take what you can
>   > use and leave the rest. My comment in my earlier reply "If this
>   works for you then great, but a
>   > weekly MACD it is not." applies across the board. If anything is
>   suspect as to name or accuracy but
>   > still works for you then don't throw it away, just make sure you
>   understand the differences. At the
>   > end of the day you have to use what works for you, not what some
>   guru tells you works for everyone
>   > else.
>   >
>   > > Thanks for your help.
>   >
>   > No problem. Remember that a fair bit of the above comments are
my
>   opinions only, and may not be
>   > shared by others.
>   >
>   > I meant what I said about being willing to walk you through any
of
>   my code if you want to learn.
>   >
>   > Good luck.