  From: <A
  href="">taforme
  To: <A
  href="">equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 10:17
  PM
  Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: MESA
  sine wave
  I have used MESA for quite some time and have read Ehler's
  book on its basis.  You should also consider searching for securities
  that DO NOT have a smooth fit.  Look for a "reverse S" in the leading
  and sine waves of MESA as it goes from a valley near -1 towards a high
  of near +1.  Used with other indicators, this is good predictor of a
  likely change, e.g. beginning an upward move, typically as MESA comes
  off the high.  This may not be the same for the time frame you are
  looking at (25 periods), but it is useful when looking at shorter frames,
  i.e. 5-7 periods.  I prefer to use MESA for its ability to predict a
  likely beginning of a new trend.  A security must cycle "very
  nicely" on a periodic basis for MESA to result in smooth sine wave.
  Good trading,--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "zenzen" <zenzen@xxxx> wrote:> (I sent this to another metastock
  group a while back but no-one replied)> > Hi there,>
  Has anyone ever experimented with the MESA sine wave? It appears that
  under> the right conditions it can be a pretty good indicator for
  trading.> > Now, I'd like to get an indicator that gives a
  reading of how 'smooth' the> sine wave is; and thus how tradeable
  the signals are.> Here is a formula I've been working on - it kind of
  works but I'd like> something better. Drop it into an indicator and
  put it on your chart with a> default MESA sine wave using 25
  periods.> > {MESA validity indicator - V0.1}>
  theta0:=Atan(MESASineWave(25), MESALeadSine(25));>
  theta1:=Ref(theta0,-1);> theta2:=Cum(If(theta0>=0 AND theta0<=170
  AND theta1<=360 AND> theta1>=190,360,0))+theta0;> theta3:=
  Mov(theta2,3,E)- Mov(theta2,5,E);> theta4:=BBandTop(theta3, 20, S,2)-
  BBandBot(theta3, 20, S,2);> theta4;> > 1. theta0 uses the
  atan function with the two parts of the MESA sine wave to> try to
  determine the phase angle.> 2. theta1 is yesterday's value of
  theta0> 3. theta2 because the angle of sin,cos etc goes from zero to
  360 degrees, it> wraps around back to zero when it hits 360. This
  'undoes' the wrapping and> adds on 360 degrees for each time it
  wraps. Now we have a phase angle that> keeps going up from zero,
  and it looks like a diagonal line> 4. theta3 is like a MACD on the
  diagonal increasing theta2. It works out how> much the phase angle
  increases each day, and thus how much further through> the cycle
  the MESA sine wave is. A pure sine wave increases by exactly the>
  same amount each day. a noisy sine wave increases by a different amount
  each> day.> THUS the closer the mesa wave is to a pure sine wave
  the lower this 'noise'> is.> 5. theta4 uses a Bollinger band
  width to try and normalise the data a bit. A> lower reading means a
  purer sine wave.> > The Mesa time periods and Bollinger band
  settings are Metastock defaults.> The moving average uses fibonacci
  numbers (no special reason, I usually pick> these as there is a
  nice increasing scale of numbers to pick from)> > As I said it's
  not particularly great but may help illustrate what I'm> talking
  about. There is a certain amount of delay in the system, probably>
  from the theta3 step. I think converting the MESA sine wave into a
  phase> angle could be improved too.> >
  Cheers,> Craig.

  Yahoo! Groups Links

    To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/equismetastock/

    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
    href="">equismetastock-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor