Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: JO and the Shill factor

Regarding the MetaStock programming language:

<<If they used basic every user could become proficient. >>

If you are proficient in basic, then you can program the files that are used as input into MetaStock.  The more files you have, the more wieldy it becomes, but it can be done and can be very handy.  Convert your files to ASCII using The Downloader, then open the file in Excel so that you can see all the headings and data, which will allow you to program around the headings.

When I bought my first PC over 20 years ago I also purchased Microsoft's Cobol compiler and had my data in ASCII format and did what I described above.  I had to hard code the file names into the program, and tabularized all my commodity codes.  It did get a little difficult to manage, but you can do things that simply can't be done in MetaStock.  Microsoft went out of the Cobol business and it no longer runs on Windows and Fujitsu wants about $1200 for a compiler now.  But programming in basic, Pascal, Cobol, or C can be done without purchasing MetaStock's DLL.

Jay

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor