RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: simple SPY trading system using Bolinger Bands

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>JO,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
think what Martin was saying is that you could call up the system tester
for 8.01 on the SPY but reference VLE within the system tester (or within a
plotted formula for that matter) and run your test that way.  In fact, I
have run backtests in MS 8.0 and 8.01 Pro referencing another security to
produce the signal (or condition part of the signal).  You don't
need Tradestation to do this - MS will handle it just
fine.

Good
Trading,

Joe
J. <LABEL id=HbSession
SessionId="2092549494">

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: manohohman
  [mailto:no_reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003
  2:47 PMTo: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: simple SPY trading system using Bolinger
  BandsThanks for the comment, Martin. I am aware of
  the security function and use it frequently in my programs, but to do this
  backtest in MS is a complex problem that goes beyond a straight forward
  application of the security function. You have to use the VLE index with
  the indicators and rules, then when the VLE generates a signal from the
  index you execute the trade on the SPY. Roy and I are working on
  the problem and maybe they'll be a solution in the next few days, at least
  for one version or another of MS explorer. This is one of the limitations
  of formula language as opposed to a general purpose programming language.
  That's why the original tester of the system used TradeStation for the
  backtests. MS likes it's systems tests simple. I also need to
  correct something else. Zweig got the 4% indicator from Ned Davis. Davis
  actually developed it in the 60's, so there's 40 plus years of data on how
  it works as opposed to the the 30 years I mentioned. Thanks again,
  Martin.JO

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor